You can lose a few pounds by making small shifts in your eating habits, changes to your daily routine, and supporting these changes with emotional healing to prevent emotional eating (see my post on emotional eating).
1. Keep a food log: Write down how much food you have eaten, and this will help you watch your portions.
2. Exercise during commercial breaks: Use commercial breaks as a chance to get active during your favorite shows. Whether its dancing, running in place, doing squats, get your heart rate up and you could burn an extra 270 calories a day.
3. Eliminate these high fat foods: Cookies, candy, ice-cream, potato chips and fries. Start with cutting out one a week, until you only consume atlas one or two a week. Replace these high fat/high calorie foods with healthier options like fruit and veggies.
4. Do atleast 30 minutes of physical activity a day: 30 minutes of physical activity a day should help you burn off about 120 extra calories a day or 12.5 pounds a year.
5. Take the stairs: Try to take the stairs over the elevator. Taking 2 to 3 flights of stairs a day, can burn enough calories to eliminate the average American’s annual weight gain of 1 – 2 pounds a year. Start with just a few flights a day.
6. Start using a pedometer: When you start to measure how many steps you take, you tend to walk more. Research shows that people who use pedometers tend to take around 2500 more steps a day which is about 100 calories. Over a year that is enough to burn off 10 pounds.
7. Only use the car if the journey is over 1 mile: Burn calories instead of gas. Walk briskly when running errands or travelling distances less than 1 mile. Anything more and you can drive.
8. Eat fruits don’t drink them: Eating fruit gives you more fiber than drinking it. It also fills you up for longer. Also chewing creates saliva which tells the brain that your gut needs to get ready for digestion.
9. Sleep: Sleep earlier and you will see weight loss within a week.
10. Use smaller plates: Less space to fill up food, so you will take smaller portions and thus ingest less.
11. Eat slower: Give your body a chance to feel full by eating slower. Also eating slower means you chew more which means that the food is already well broken down before it reaches your gut making it easier for your body to digest it.
12. skip soda and juice: Soda and juice are just empty calories. Instead of taking in juice, drink water to help cut back on these empty calories
Some Extra Quick Tips
- Skip the elevator at work and always take the stairs.
- Park as far from the store or your office as you can.
- Don’t call your colleagues. Instead, walk to their offices if you need to talk.
- If you use public transportation, get off one stop early and walk the rest of the way.
- Take your dog for a walk.
- If you have a stationary bike or treadmill you’re not using, move it out of that dark corner and put it right in your living room, perhaps in front of the TV. Walk or bike while your favorite show is on.
- Use a kitchen timer at work and make sure it goes off every 60 minutes. When it does, get up and walk for three minutes around the office. By doing so, you can walk an extra 24 minutes every day.
Do you have any tips of your own? Let us know.